Planetarium History

The Irene V. Hylton Planetarium was not always what you see today.  The Prince William County Schools first opened C.D. Hylton High School in 1991 with SkyDome Planetarium as a state of the art Spitz 512 ATM 3 star projector capable of projecting 1354 stars, the five visible eye planets, moon phasing, daily and yearly motion as well as celestial coordinates onto the thirty foot curved dome.  Video projection back them was limited to VHS and DVD laser disc capability.  Thirteen slide projectors complimented the various programs.

In 2010 the planetarium underwent a major technology upgrade through the endless generosity of the Hylton Group.  A Konica Minolta Media Globe 2 fish eye lens star projector was installed along with an AVI Skylaser RGB laser projection system.  And hence was born the Irene V. Hylton Plantarium… changing the way that Prince William County learns about the night sky and outer space.

The planetarium is visited daily by all 99 of the Prince William County Public Schools.  The planetarium also is available for public showings that are posted at the beginning of each school year for all the shows that will be offered that year.  Countless private groups such as scouts and child care programs also reach out as well as neighboring school divisions to use our state of the art facility.

Save